Today is Father’s Day; a day on which we celebrate the love, commitment, and sacrifice of our earthly fathers for us. But this morning, over 60% of American children will wake up without a father in the home. A vast majority of the other 40% will endure another day with an abusive father or maybe not see him at all. No matter where you fall, you can no doubt think of a time when your earthly father disappointed you, because he’s a sinful human! However, today we have the awesome privilege of expressing gratitude to our Heavenly Father; the Father to the fatherless and to all nations.
Scripture is full of the fatherhood of God. It sets an example for you men who are fathers, and it brings hope, comfort, and love to those who are fatherless, or whose fathers are slacking in their responsibilities. It speaks the truth that, whether you have the best earthly father you could ask for, or are lacking one all together, God is holding you close to His heart in an expression of tender, loving care for you.
As a father pities His children, so the Lord pities them that Fear Him.
This word “pities” is an expression of deep love and compassion for someone. It exemplifies the should-be responsibility of a godly earthly father. It is the very same emotion that wells up in the heart of God for you!
…and his name shall be called…everlasting father.
Everlasting – a beautiful picture of what fatherhood should be. No matter what sin you’ve committed, what crime you call your own, He is your Father, and He’s not ashamed to call you His child.
He wants you to call out to Him! He knows you need Him! He’s there for you! When He sees you in trouble, trying to mend your own brokenness with your own hands, His heart aches. He says, “Please, won’t you ask me for help? I’m here for you!“
I will lead you and cause you to walk in a straight way…you will not stumble, for I am a father unto you…
When you need that direction, that counsel, that person who understands you and will help you and not let you fall, God is that Father for you. He holds you up so you will not fall.
…thy father who sees in secret will reward you openly.
Seek His favor. You may never measure up in the eyes of others, but in the eyes of your Abba Father, you are priceless, and your creative achievements for His glory will be rewarded, even if no one else knows about them.
…Your father knows what you need before you ask Him
What a promise! The worries and cares of life that weigh you down, the money you need, the love and encouragement you so desperately desire – God knows you need those things, and He has promised that if you ask in the power of HIS name, He will give them to you! It is the Father’s GOOD PLEASURE to give YOU the Kingdom!
…Your heavenly Father will forgive you
There is no sin too great. As far as the east is from the west (infinite), so far has be blotted out your transgressions from before His eyes. Our earthly fathers, in their humanness, may fail to forgive, but our Heavenly Father will not.
You were rescued by the Father of the fatherless, bought with the precious blood of the only begotten, true Son of God. The true Son was sacrificed for the adopted ones. Isn’t this a marvelous picture of God’s fatherly love? And the Son was willing!
If you endure chastening, God deals with you as a son; for what father does not chasten the one he loves?
Yes – that painful chastisement that follows our sin. Sin has consequences. The story is told of a boy who was caught breaking the law. The father refused to do anything about it, but when the police came to take the boy away, he said to the officer, “Thank you for loving me enough.” The heart of God pursues his lost children; it breaks the leg of the lamb and carries it gently upon the shoulders of the Great Shepherd. Do not reject the chastening of the Lord.
Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.
Today, may fathers around the world be inspired to lead and father their children as the loving Heavenly Father does; and may all those who are “fatherless” find the heart of God, the Abba Father, for them.
Happy Father’s Day!